Did you know the Christian Church universal has moved into a season on the Church calendar called Lent? Lent is a season marked by fasting: an inward journey encouraging us to consider our sin before God for purification and preparation for the work He has for us. It is also a corporate journey as the Body of Christ walks through this season together.
To aid in this Shirley Saddler still has "Seek God for the City" devotional books available in the foyer of the church. This is available in app form as well (Seek God 2018). Check with her to participate.
Additionally, Jeff Brady is encouraging our youth to dig into the Bible in slightly smaller bites with Lenten Fast themed Scripture selections. In the pursuit of our Body of Christ connecting ever deeper, the youth group has made these available to the whole church as well (in this post).
However you choose to engage and deepen your faith walk this Lent, remember that we're all in this together. Hanfield UMC is here for you, we all are seeking and praying for revival together, and eagerly anticipating Resurrection in our lives, community, and world this Easter and beyond. We hope these resources are helpful. Thank you!
From iLuminate Youth:
Lenten Devotional Scriptures
During this season of Lent we challenge you to seek God by exploring the truths of Scripture, His words to us.
Begin each reading with a prayer, “Lord, please speak to my heart, grant understand, and help me live it out. Amen.”
Sunday, Feb 18: Matthew 4:1-11
- At the beginning of Lent, a 40-day period of fasting from something that we rely on more than God, we remember Christ’s own 40 day fast in the desert to prepare Him for His upcoming ministry.
Monday, Feb 19: Job 42:1-6
- After Job’s life-changing ordeal and argument with God, he can do nothing but submit to God’s supremacy. What do you need to submit to Him today?
Tuesday, Feb 20: Matthew 6:16-18
- Though we don’t do a full, strict fast, Lent is indeed a fast. Let Christ’s words inspire and guide your own fast this season.
Wednesday, Feb 21: Deuteronomy 9:15-19
- Moses’ own 40 day fast before the presence of the Lord was for the vision and direction of the nation of Israel. May your own fast cause you to Praise Him for what He will reveal to you!
Thursday, Feb 22: Psalm 25:1-7, 16-21
- Let us be comforted, encouraged, and a bit challenged simply by calling on the Lord.
Friday, Feb 23: Matt 25:31-46
- The test of any fast is not whether we look changed for God, but whether our hearts have been “rended” enough that we are ready to act changed. May Christ’s words become a litmus test, then.
Saturday, Feb 24: 2 Samuel 12:13-23
- On this 1 week anniversary of starting our Lenten Fast, perhaps a reminder of why we have undertaken this fast. Simple obedience? Peer pressure? Or the utmost desire of a heart desperately seeking God’s will and touch ?